Funding is available from several sources to support tuition, fees, and some related expenses for Texas agencies and departments. Personnel and departments are encouraged to take advantage of the funding and services listed below.
No-Cost Training for Texas
DHS/FEMA Funded Training
AmeriCorps Education Award
Programs Approved for Americorps Education Award
- Basic Peace Officer (Fast and Slow Paced)
- EMT Basic (Fast and Slow Paced)
- EMT Paramedic (Fast and Slow Paced)
- Firefighting Recruit Entry Level Academy (Online and Face-to-Face)
- Tower Technician Level I
- Unexploded Ordinance Technician Level I
- Heavy Equipment Operator
- Lineman Academy
How to Register and apply AmeriCorps Education Award
Login to the AmeriCorps system and select TEEX as the school then select which program of interest. We will then receive your request and contact you to complete registration.
Meritize Student Loans
TEEX offers students the option of paying for the following TEEX programs through Meritize Student Loans. With a Meritize loan, you can enhance your credit evaluation and improve your loan options by sharing your academic profile. Providing your transcript -- whether high school, partial or full college or previous skills-based school experience lets you get credit for your merit and fund your education. You are not required to be an "A" student, have good credit, or have a cosigner.
Programs approved to receive Meritize funding are:
At this time these are the only courses approved with Meritize.
How to Apply
- Apply for your student loan at apply.meritize.com.
- Once you are approved for a loan you will then be contacted by a Meritize loan officer. You will have 30 days to review and accept the loan offer.
How to utilize your loan in conjunction with VA Benefits
If you are a veteran and would like to use a loan in conjunction with your veteran benefits we require you to contact TEEX Veteran Services Office at (979) 458-7796 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Meritize loan rates.
* Available to U.S. Citizens Only
** Meritize is an independent loan company not affiliated with TEEX or The Texas A&M University System.
Assistance Programs / Associations
HB2604 / Texas A&M Forest Service
- 100% of tuition cost
- Training tuition grants under this program will be provided to a maximum of $85 per day, not to exceed $595 per trainee per school.
- Training tuition grants are limited to a maximum of $6,000 per department per school.
- The maximum amount of Training Tuition assistance a department may receive in a fiscal year (September through August) is $12,000.
- Written application for a Training Tuition grant must be received by the Texas A&M Forest Service before the course start-date. An application received on or after the course start-date is not eligible for grant assistance.
- Available for TEEX Area & Annual Schools
The 81st Texas State Legislature passed Senate Bill 1011 in 2009. The Texas Legislature amended portions of the statute governing the Texas Commission on Fire Protection. By statute, the Fire Department Emergency Program was abolished effective January 1, 2010. The program was transferred to the Texas A&M Forest Service and going forward all funds will be used for a totally new program designed to provide reimbursement grants for firefighter training, SCBA’s, and PPE; and for a pilot project to acquire fire and rescue apparatus’ to support the Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System. This new program has been designed and approved in consultation with the Texas Fire Chiefs Association, the Texas State Association of Firefighters, and the State Firemen’s and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas.
A Program of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, grants are awarded to fire departments to enhance their ability to protect the public and fire service personnel from fire and related hazards. Three types of grants are available: Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG), Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants (SAFER), and Fire Prevention and Safety Grants (FP&S). This Web site provides a description of four types of grants, which includes the Assistance to Firefights Fire Station Construction Grants (SCG). The site also offers resources to help fire departments prepare and submit grant requests.