Peace Officers play a vital role in ensuring the safety and security of the public. The Central Texas Police Academy (CTPA) delivers a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) approved Basic Peace Officer course leading to Texas Peace Officer licensing. Participants receive classroom training designed to prepare each student for the state licensing examination and engage in hands-on training to better acquaint them to the rigors of police work.
This course is 36 weeks in duration and meets Monday - Thursday 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. and every other Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Course #1000643 & 101.
Sponsored Student (Paid and Employed by Law Enforcement Agency)
Participant must be at least 21 years of age before the class end date
Must meet TCOLE minimum standards for licensing
Course Completion Requirements
- Notebook paper (8.5” x 11”) and notebook dividers (minimum 33)
- Blue or black ink pens, red ink pen, highlighters, #2 pencils
- Duty belt
- Handgun and secure holster- thumb-break style
- Minimum of two speed loaders or three magazines
- Handcuffs and key (Smith & Wesson, Peerless, Hiatts, etc.) and handcuff case
- Speed loader pouch or double magazine pouch
- Straight flashlight (Mag-lite, Surefire, Stream Light, etc.) and flashlight holder
- Belt keepers (minimum of four)
- Black shoes or boots that can be polished
- Athletic gear must be brought the first day of class and each day thereafter consisting of
- navy-colored shorts
- athletic shoes
- The required pants for the uniform are Dickies brand #874 khaki
pants. They are available from Wal-Mart and other common vendors for
less than $20/pair. It is recommended that the student purchase at least
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. The course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirements, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
- Small dictionary, law dictionary
- Gear bag
TopicsArrest procedures+Crime scene investigation+Criminal investigations+Emergency vehicle operation+Firearms training+Patrol tactics+Physical fitness training+Report writing+Self-defense techniques+Standardized Field Sobriety Testing+Traffic enforcement and investigations+Texas Penal Code
- Anyone who is interested in becoming a Texas peace officer
Continuing Education and Professional CreditsTexas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
Bryan/College Station Texas Training Facilities
Emergency Vehicle Driving Track
Live-Fire Shoot House
Simulation Prop Houses
Wiatt Building and Circuit Training Exercise Track
Government ProgramsPost 9/11 GI Bill Benefits® For information contact Veteranservices@teex.tamu.edu or call (877) 833-9638