The Managing Excavation Hazards (OSHA #7410) course provides information to students surrounding the roles and responsibilities of the employer to assign a competent person to the excavation site and arm that person with the knowledge to perform the work properly. At the conclusion of this course, the participant will understand the importance and duties of a competent person towards excavation work and will have the knowledge and skills that are required to perform those duties.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
TEEX and the OSHA Training Institute (OTI) have an attendance policy that requires all students to fully attend enrolled classes. In order for the student to receive a certificate of completion, they must attend the entire class. We realize that extenuating circumstances may arise that would take a student out of class and have implemented the following policy to handle those situations. Below are the responsibilities and expectations of students in a TEEX course.
- Participants are expected to attend 100% of the course in which they are enrolled before a certificate of successful completion can be issued.
- If an extenuating circumstance arises in which a participant is unable to attend 100% of class, the participant must get with the instructor to complete the Participant Makeup Time Request form prior to their leaving the classroom. If the extenuating circumstance arises during non-class hours, then the participant must get with the instructor to complete the Participant Makeup Time Request form when they return to the class. If the participant is unable to return to class, they must still contact the instructor for the required processing.
- If the instructor approves an absence and the absence time is less than 20% of the class time, the instructor can assign makeup work for equivalent time missed.
- All assigned makeup work must be documented, checked by the instructor and returned with class materials to be maintained in the class record as required by OSHA and TEEX.
- For all other approved absences, participants must enroll through TEEX Registration to retake the course within the OSHA required six-month time frame.
- Unexcused absences require participants to register/pay/attend the class again at another time.
TopicsDefinitions relating to OSHA's Excavation Standard (1926 Subpart P)+Excavation hazards and control measures+Soil analysis techniques+Protective system requirements and emergency response
- Private Sector Construction Employer
- Safety and Health Managers or Supervisors
Continuing Education and Professional Credits0.8 CEUs