This course is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge required for certification to Fire Inspector I and Fire Inspector II as described in National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner (2009 edition). This course meets or exceeds the requirements for certification through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) and State Firemen's and Fire Marshals' Association (SFFMA).
Both sessions (including class hours and pre-class assignments) combined equals 132 hours and must be successfully completed along with the 40 hour Plans Examiner for students to be eligible to take the TCFP certification exam for Inspector.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Pre-Course Homework Assignment
In order to complete this course for TCFP or SFFMA, you will need to do some pre-course reading and assignments before coming to the Municipal Fire Training School. The first day of class will start with an exam over this pre-course reading material. You must demonstrate that you have completed the pre-course reading by passing the exam. Failure to pass the exam will result in failure of the course, and no refund will be issued.
Here’s what you need to do: (please read carefully)
- Verify that you received your pre-course assignment materials by emailing Harvie Cheshire
- Purchase the 7th Edition of IFSTA, Fire Inspection and Code Enforcement manual.
- Read Chapters 14 and 17 in the 7th Edition of IFSTA, Fire Inspection and Code Enforcement manual.
- View the PowerPoint slide presentation along with the Module Materials / Activities from the Student Participant Manual for Chapters 14 and 17.
- Complete the activities and quizzes for Chapters 14 and 17. These quizzes will prepare you for the questions on the pre-course reading exam during the first day of the Municipal Fire School.
For additional assistance with books or questions about the pre-course work, please contact Harvie Cheshire or phone (979) 862-7440.
- Bring the 7th Edition of IFSTA, Fire Inspection and Code Enforcement manual
- A copy of local fire and building codes
- Any fire inspection policies and procedures
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- PPE Level 1 as described in the TEEX Student Safety Manual. All students are required to follow this manual at all times.
- Wear regular station duty wear for fire field activities
- Wear office attire for classroom sessions
- You may not wear to any class or field activity
- sleeveless shirts
- open-toed shoes
TopicsIntroduction+Special Agent Extinguishers+Detection/Alarm Systems+Fire Hazard Recognition+Site Access+Hazardous Material (Hazmat) ID and Descriptions+HazMat Storage & Transport+Plans Review+Inspection Practices
Suggested AudienceAll fire protection personnel and anyone in the Inspections field.
- Sunday: 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. until finished
Annual Schools registration information
Annual Schools require that you print the Annual Schools registration form and mail it with a check, or fax it to (979) 847-9301 with an approved/signed Purchase Order. Only Annual School registration forms will be accepted.