This workshop helps canine handlers to learn the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to teach proper agility with functional control to a disaster search and rescue canine. This workshop helps handlers prepare for the FSA/CE process. Agility is a required portion of the FSA/CE process for all canines (Live and HR) and new handlers often struggle with getting agility trained in a manner that supports creating functional control of the canine in the work environment. This workshop will cover different methods handers can utilize to get the best results when training for testing and real world deployment. This workshop is 16 hours of hands-on training, delivered over two days.
This workshop is one of the six different hands-on training opportunities that comprises the Canine Technical Assistance Program (CTAP). The Canine Technical Assistance Program is designed to provide canine handlers practical knowledge and to receive feedback on different topics relevant to deploying Live Find (LF) and Human Remains Detection (HRD) canines to disasters. The CTAP workshops are appropriate for canine handlers that are looking to sharpen their skills and improve their capabilities by learning practical solutions to common challenges.
These workshops are appropriate for canine handlers that will work with either Live-Find (LF) or Human Remains Detection (HRD) canine during search and rescue operations as part of Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) Task Force (TF).
The Canine Technical Assistance Program (CTAP) consists of the following six workshops:
- Building a Live Find Bark Indication - Level 1(Course Code: 9P1381)
- Building a Live Find Bark Indication - Level 2 (Course Code: 9P1382)
- Teaching Canine Directional Control (Course Code: 9P1383)
- Disaster Canine Agility (Course Code: 9P1384)
- Live Find Diffuse Scent Considerations (Course Code: 9P1385)
- Stop the Shopping - Improving Commitment to Scent (Course Code: 9P1386)
Prior to attending this workshop, students must have completed:
- FEMA Canine Search Specialists
- SUSAR Canine Search Specialists
- Regional or City US&R Teams
- Fire Department Responders
- Law Enforcement Personnel
TEEX has provided training and technical assistance to National US&R and SUSAR task forces since 1998. Your department can be confident that training will meet credentialing and validation requirements. TEEX adheres to all of the requirements set forth by the FEMA US&R Program Office.